Use the blue arrows <> on the left & right to go to the next-door shops
Click HERE to see photos of this shop

No.74 High Street

Everything Everywhere
formerly 'Freeman, Hardy & Willis Ltd.'

Shop History

2011 -

Everything Everywhere

2006 - 2010


- Bef. 1996

Freeman, Hardy & Willis

12th June 1953

Freeman Hardy & Willis
- Newmarket UDC re-numbering map

Bef. 1949

Freeman, Hardy & Willis re-built

February 18th 1941

Freeman, Hardy & Willis demolished by bomb No.1


Freeman, Hardy & Willis - Newmarket Directory


Freeman, Hardy & Willis Ltd., High Street - Newmarket Street Directory


Freeman, Hardy & Willis Ltd., boot & shoe manufacturers, High Street - Kelly's Directory


Freeman, Hardy & Willis Ltd., boot & shoe manufacturers, High Street - Kelly's Directory


Freeman, Hardy & Willis - Street Market Map


In Occupation - Census


Walter Enoch, Grocer - Census


Makin Leonard Frank & Co., grocers & provision dealers, High Street - Kelly's Directory


Mark Hilton, Grocer - Census


Mark Hilton, Grocer - Census


Mark Hilton, Grocer - Census

Newmarket Journal

[in the upstairs office, entrance from Market Street]

Abt. 1983

Newmarket Journal moves to Rookery House

Marlborough Club

[in the upstairs rooms, entrance from Market Street]

February 18th 1941

Marlborough Club demolished by bomb


Marlborough Club: Waters, Tom (caretaker), Market Street - Nkt.231 - Newmarket Directory


Marlborough Club: Waters, T., Caretaker, Market Street - Newmarket Street Directory


Marlborough Club (F. Field, sec.), Market Street - Nkt.231 - Kelly's Directory


Marlborough Club (Chas. H. Parish, sec.), Market Street - Kelly's Directory

2nd April 1911

Marlborough Club: Mr. T Waters, Caretaker, Market Street - Census


  • Freeman, Hardy & Willis was set up in Leicester in 1875, when Edward Wood sold his boot and shoe manufacturing business, E. Wood & Co., to three of his associates. Soon after the company changed its name and Freeman, Hardy & Willis embarked on an ambitious expansion plan which saw its number of retail outlets increase dramatically - by 1890 it owned more than 100 outlets and by 1914 the number had increased to nearly 500, which included Newmarket's shop.

    In 1927 FH & W and its 551 outlets were acquired by its competitor Sears, which traded under the name True Form. In 1953 after a sensational take-over, Charles Clore took control of Sears, and three years later added Manfield and Dolcis to his portfolio. Clore reorganized his footwear interests into the British Shoe Corporation in 1962 and the same year went on to buy Saxone, and Lilley & Skinners.

    In 1996 Sears' shoe shops, except Dolcis, were sold to Stylo plc, which decided to consolidate them into its Barratts and PriceLess Shoes brands - Freeman, Hardy & Willis disappeared from our streets.

  • Originally in 1892 & 1896 (Kelly's) Freeman Hardy & Willis' shop had been in Upper Station Road (now Old Station Road), the actual address is not known, but in the 1891 census there was a 'Boot Shop' listed at No.1 Albert Street (now the Moulton Road), which may have been their shop - this is now Ladbrokes Bookmakers on the corner of Old Station Road and the Moulton Road.

    In the 1901 census there's still a Manager of a Boot Shop shown, although once again the name of the shop isn't given.  Freeman Hardy & Willis had moved to No.74 High Street sometime before 1904, as it's listed as being there in the Street Market Map of that year.

  • Freeman Hardy & Willis and the Marlborough Club in the rooms above was the site of the first bomb that struck Newmarket on 18th February 1941, demolishing most of the building. William Harvey Doig, Richard Frederick Jennings and Louisa Waters died in the Marlborough Club.

    If you compare the 1912 photo with that from c. 1950 below you'll see that the building has completely disappeared.

    For more details about about this dark day click on the large picture underneath

1912 - photo courtesy 'Old Newmarket' c. 1950 - photo courtesy 'Old Newmarket'
The Bombing of Newmarket High Street 1941
February 18th 1941 - photo courtesy of the Newmarket Local History Society

Freeman, Hardy & Willis Adverts

Freeman Hardy & Willis Advert c. 1910

Freeman Hardy & Willis Advert 1953

Freeman Hardy & Willis Advert
December 1953

Freeman Hardy & Willis Advert
May 1955

  • Building Changes

  • Planning Application - F/98/285
    Freeman Hardy Willis 74 High Street, Newmarket
    Application Registered 02-06-1998
    New shopfront as amended by letter and plans received 25.6.98

  • Many thanks to Peter Norman for his details about the Newmarket Street Market Map 1904 and the photos 'Freeman, Hardy & Willis c.1977', 'Freeman, Hardy & Willis late 1960s', 'Freeman, Hardy & Willis mid 1960s' and 'Freeman, Hardy & Willis c.1960'.

  • Many thanks to Roger Newman for the postcard  'Freeman, Hardy & Willis June 1906'.


No.74 High Street

Freeman, Hardy & Willis c.1977

Freeman, Hardy & Willis late 1960s

Freeman, Hardy & Willis mid 1960s

Freeman, Hardy & Willis c.1960

Freeman, Hardy & Willis June 1906