Use the blue arrows <> on the left & right to go to the next-door shops
Click HERE to see photos of this shop

No.67 High Street

Golding of Newmarket

Shop History


Goldings, tailors, ladies/gents outfitters, riding wear - Domesday Survey

12th June 1953

No.65:- Stuart House
No.67:- Stuart House - Golding's
- Newmarket UDC re-numbering map


Golding & Son, tailors, outfitters & breeches makers, High Street - Kelly's Directory

1909 / 1910

Golding & Son, Tailors, Outfitters, High Street, Nkt.119 - Phone Book


Golding - Street Market Map


Golding & Son, High Street, Clothiers & Outfitters - Eastern Counties of England Directory


Hatters Shop - Census


Samuel Golding, Outfitter, Tailor & Linen Draper, High Street - Post Office Directory of Cambridgeshire


Golding Samuel, outfitter and boot and shoe dealer, High Street and Wellington street
- White's Directory

1863 - 

Palace Shop

King Charles II's Palace (the Lord Chamberlain's Office)


Golding refurbished shop front - 20th October 2016

  • Founded in 1855 by Samuel Golding, Cheapside Store (No.11 Wellington Street) was the first incarnation of what would subsequently become Golding of Newmarket, Clothiers & Outfitters.

    The business proved to be so successful that it outgrew its humble beginnings within eight years and had to relocate to larger premises (No.67 High Street), later being owned by his son Herbert Samuel Golding. It was also renamed The Palace Shop, an apt name as the new location was King Charles II's Palace.

    The Golding family name was eventually adopted and soon became a household word amongst the horseracing world and has remained so ever since. The business thrived over the following century and stayed in family hands until Peter Golding retired in 1998.

    To ensure that the Golding traditions would continue, he decided to sell to fellow independent retailer Coes, another family run business.

  • On the 1881 census Samuel Golding is shown in the High Street at what was called 'Hatters Shop' ... on the 1871 census the location is more obvious and is clearly this premises - so 'Hatters Shop' must have been an original name for No.67 High Street.

  • In 1888 Samuel Golding bought up most of the property between the Rutland Arms and the Star Inn in the High Street that had once been part of the old royal palace, this included Palace House.

  • Samuel Golding had retired by 1891 and moved to 'The Glen', a house located in what is now The Avenue. His sons Herbert Samuel and William Andrews Golding continued the business at No. 67 High Street.

  • Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
    Newmarket Urban District Council Records
    Reference EF 506
  • Alterations to rear of Palace shop, High St, for Herbert S. Golding (John Flatman) EF 506/6/1/8/105 Jun 1902
  • Alterations, Camden House, High St, for William Golding (John Flatman) EF 506/6/1/15/455 May 1913
  • Shop front, High St, for W. Golding EF 506/6/1/16/538 Dec 1919
  • Tailor's shop, rear of Palace Shop, for Golding & Sons EF 506/6/1/21/778 Feb 1927

  • As detailed in the History list above this shop is built on part of the site of King Charles II's palace. Further details about this building's association with the palace can be seen in the archaeological report shown below - the remains of a medieval Ice Well can be found in the yard at the rear of the shop, which was originally situated in the corner of the palace garden.
    The shop itself was the site of the Lord Chamberlain’s office, which was demolished in 1815 and the area became the forecourt to the Queen Anne’s pavilion (which was located where the Congregational church once stood next door). This was sold to gambling club owner and bookmaker William Crockford in 1817 and then subsequently part of the site including the Ice Well was put up for auction in 1819.

  • The photo of Peter Golding is by kind permission of the Newmarket Journal and the Newmarket Memories Facebook page.

  • Many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' for the photos 'Goldings Advertisement 1970', 'Centre of High Street c.1950s' & 'A float going down the High Street c.1920s'.


Click on image to view full size

No.67 High Street

No.67 High Street

Click on an image below to select above
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select