Use the blue arrows <> on the left & right to go to the next-door shops
Click HERE to see photos of this shop

No.77 High Street

Caffè Nero, formerly the Black Horse Hotel

Shop / Pub History

August 2013 -

Caffè Nero

Nothing up my sleeve .... .... and then it magically appears

April 2006 - 2012

1986 - April 2006



Vacant Site - late Black Horse Public House - Domesday Survey


The Black Horse closed and demolished, as building deemed unsafe


Landlord: Raymond Jameison (Gloria and Ray from the Kings Head Dullingham)
- Owners: Tollemache & Cobbold


Landlord: Alexander Craig Cairncross - Owners: Tollemache & Cobbold

Aug 1968

Landlord: George Orpwood - Owners: Tollemache & Cobbold

Landlord: Nicholas Arter - Owners: Tollemache & Cobbold

Landlord: Charles Connor - Owners: Tollemache & Cobbold

Landlord: Ronald Maher - Owners: Tollemache & Cobbold

12th June 1953

Black Horse P.H.
- Newmarket UDC re-numbering map


Landlord: Charles Pudney


Black Horse Hotel: Landlord: Pudney C. - Nkt. 165 - Newmarket Directory


Landlady: Alice Spurling (as well as Black Bear) - Owners: Tollemache & Cobbold - Harrod's Directory


Landlord: Charles Pudney


Black Horse, High St. - Reg. A Woollard - Newmarket Street Directory


Landlord: R.A.Woollard - Kelly's Directory


Woollard, Joseph, Black Horse P.H. High Street - Kelly's Directory

2nd Apr 1911

Landlord: Cephas Woollard (see below) - Census


Landlord: Joseph Woollard - Kelly's Directory


Landlord: George Bowler (see below) - Kelly's Directory


Landlord: George Bowler - Census


Landlord: George Bowler - Kelly's Directory


Landlord: Elijah Williams - Post Office Directory


Landlord: Elijah Williams - Census


Black Horse Hotel: owned by Charlie Wood, champion jockey


Landlady: Clara Hills - White's Directory


Landlady: Clara Hills - Census


Hills Clara (Mrs.), Black Horse, High Street - Post Office Directory


Landlady: Clara Hills - Harrod's Directory


Landlady: Clara Hills - Census


Landlady: Clara Hills - Post Office Directory


Landlord: James Hill - Census


Landlady: Betsy Barrett - White's Directory


Landlord: William Barrett - White's Directory


Landlord: William Barrett - Pigot's Directory


Black Horse, Barrett William - Robson's Commercial Directory of Beds, Bucks ...


Landlord: William Barrett - Pigot's Directory


  • The Black Horse, known as the 'Kicker' .... well known as a Biker's and Irish pub .... 'best jukebox in town, in the back bar', 'thick waist-high blue smoke', 'fond memories of a sea of denim and leather and roll up fags' [comments on Facebook 'Old Newmarket'].

  • At the time of closing, it may well have been the oldest pub in Newmarket, despite claims to the contrary from the Bushel [comment - Tony Pringle].

  • Tollemache & Cobbold - the former Tolly Cobbold Brewery (jointly associated with the Tollemache family of Helmingham Hall and the Cobbold Family of Ipswich) - acquired by Ridley's, which was then subsequently bought by Greene King in 2005 and dismantled.

  • Lowther House (No.146-148 High Street) was owned by the Jockey Charlie Wood in 1888 (who also owned No.82 High Street -the Greyhound / Carlton Hotel and No.77 High Street - he also owned the Black Horse Hotel)

  • George Bowler from Pangbourne, Berkshire moved to Newmarket to train racehorses.
    In 1891 he had become the Innkeeper at The Blackbirds Inn, Woodditton.
    By 1901 George, his wife Elizabeth and five children - George, Maud, Alice, Arthur and Emily had moved to the Black Horse Inn, their youngest daughter May was born there.
    He died in Newmarket in 1907.

  • Cephas Woollard was born in Barrow in 1852, he started his working career as a stable lad for Joseph Dawson in Bury Road. He moved to Pimlico in London where he became a wharf manager and met his wife Emily from Knowle in Devon. He later moved back to Newmarket with Emily, his son Reginald Arthur and his daughters Margaret Elsie and Dorothy Mary. He became Landlord of the Black Horse, subsequently retiring to No. 3 All Saints Terrace and died on 20th January 1922. It's interesting that in Kelly's Directory of 1908 and 1916 he's listed as Joseph Woollard.

  • On 5 April 2006, Dixons announced that they were removing their brand from the high street and would only be using the Currys brand, Dixons re-branded as

  • English Heritage Listed Building Details:-

  • Black Horse Public House 77
    Grade: DL
    Date Listed: 26 June 1984
    English Heritage Building ID: 275675

  • Building Changes

  • Planning Application - F/86/170
    77 High Street Newmarket Suffolk
    Application Registered 02-04-1986
    Part demolition plus reconstruction and refurbishment to create retail unit as amended by drawings received 1.5.86

  • Planning Application - F/86/524/LB
    Black Horse 77 High Street Newmarket Suffolk
    Application Registered 07-07-1986
    Demolition of listed building

  • Planning Application - F/86/537
    77 High Street Newmarket Suffolk
    Application Registered 11-07-1986
    Redevelopment of site with retail unit

  • Planning Application - F/87/312
    77 High Street Newmarket Suffolk
    Application Registered 08-05-1987
    New shopfront

  • Planning Application - F/2006/0445/ADI
    Dixons 77 High Street Newmarket
    Application Registered 25-05-2006
    Retrospective application: display of an internally illuminated fascia sign and externally illuminated projecting sign

  • Planning Application - F/2007/0502/ADN
    Currys Digitial 77 High Street Newmarket
    Application Registered 22-06-2007
    Display of non-illuminated fascia and projecting signs

  • Planning Application - F/2010/0072/FUL
    77 High Street Newmarket
    Application Registered 26-03-2010
    Creation of new shop front to Sun Lane and new pedestrian access doors and fire escape (Development affecting the setting of a listed building)

  • Planning Application - F/2012/0349/COU
    77 High Street Newmarket
    Application Registered 19-06-2012
    Change of use from shop (A1) to restaurant (A3) (Development affecting the setting of a Listed Building)
    Applicant Neath Properties Ltd

  • APPLICATION NO : F/2012/0349/COU - Change of use

  • Four letters of representation have been received .. summarized as:
    • There are already too many places selling food in Newmarket
    • Do not want further competition for existing food outlets, restaurants or takeaways
    • Empty shops should be regenerated to provide more retail establishments that would attract more shoppers into the town
    • The future Palace House expansion would attract more tourists to the town and would have its own restaurant/café
      - would this be affected by the use of No. 77 as a restaurant?

  • Shown below is a page from an official County of West Suffolk town planning document dated 1956 - 'Headquarters of the Turf' - on it the Black Horse Inn is shown as a 'BUILDING OF LOCAL IMPORTANCE' - something the planners of 1985 seemed to have forgotten.

  • Many thanks to Tony Pringle for his information about the history of the pub and the photos ' 5-11-2010' and ' 2010'.

  • Photograph 'Black Horse 1985' courtesy of Peter Norman.


Click on image to view full size

No.77 High Street

No.77 High Street

Click on an image below to select above
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select