Use the arrows on the left & right to go to the next-door shops

William Harper Butchers / Mitson's Cycles

Shop History


Shop demolished to make way for the Rookery Shopping Centre


Mitson's Cycle and Radio Dealers


A.H. Mitson - Newmarket Street Directory


Mitson, Harry, cycle manufacturer, Wellington Street - Nkt.64 - Kelly's Directory


Mitson, Albert & Harry, cycle agents, Wellington Street - Kelly's Directory


Cycle Shop - Census


Mitson, Albert & Harry, cycle agents, Wellington Street - Kelly's Directory


Mitson, H. & A., Wellington Cycle Works, Wellington Street
- Eastern Counties of England Directory

October 1900

Cycle shop and work-shop, Wellington St., for A. & H. Mitson - planning details


Harper, William, butcher, Wellington Street - Kelly's Directory


Thomas Tebbutt Cunnington died


Thomas Cunnington, Butcher, Wellington Street - Census


Cunnington Thomas Tebbutt, butcher, Wellington Street - White's Directory


Thomas Cunnington, Butcher, Wellington Street - Census


Thomas T. Cunnington, Butcher, Wellington Street - Census

  • W. Harper Butcher and Sausage Maker
  • Notes

    • Norwich born butcher Thomas Tebbutt Cunnington can be seen on the 1861 census in Wellington Street and then on subsequent censuses in Wellington Street next to Albion Street until his death in 1889.

    • William John Harper (b. 1868 Barrington), the great-grandfather of Grant Powter (owner of Powter's Butchers) came to Newmarket in 1881 as an apprentice to Thomas.

    • When Thomas died in 1889 he left his estate to his second wife Eliza who carrried on managing the butchers for a few years with William as butcher's foreman. William appears to have taken over the shop; as in Kelly's Directory of 1892 he's shown as owning his own butchers in Wellington Street.

    • Interestingly on the 1891 census William is working alongside another butcher's apprentice - Frank Edwin Musk (aka Edwin Frank Musk), younger brother of James Musk, who later became the owner of Musk's Butchers.

    • It appears that sometime after the above photo was taken and before October 1900 William moved his shop to the building next door on the left and after he retired that shop became Murton's Butchers. This particular building became Mitson's Cycle shop in October 1900.

    • William's business was next owned by son-in-law Herbert 'Horace' James Hawes, renamed H.J. Hawes Pork Shop and moved to its well-known location next to Drapery Row. Subsequently Ken Powter took over the Pork Shop from his father-in-law in 1965, re-named it again to Powter's and moved it to its present location in No.11 Wellington Street.

    • Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
      Newmarket Urban District Council Records
      Reference EF 506
      • Cycle shop and work-shop, Wellington St, for A. & H. Mitson (Holland & Son) EF 506/6/1/6/9 Oct 1900
      • Motor garage shed in Wellington St, for A. & H. Mitson EF 506/6/1/17/570 Oct 1920
      • WC and larders, Mabille House, Wellington St, for H. Mitson EF 506/6/1/17/587 Mar 1921