Use the blue arrows <> on the left & right to go to the next-door shops

Market Street


Market Street 2014


  • Market Street is the only 'Shambles' street that's left of the old Rookery and many of the original buildings are still present today.
    Although never officially referred to as the 'Shambles' (this is the name of a famous street in York and also a few other towns), the name is entirely appropriate as the word is an obsolete term for an open-air slaughterhouse and meat market and this area has been host to many butchers over the years, even being referred to as 'the Butchery' in some documents - a few of the those known are detailed below:-

  • Originally Market Street extended from the High Street all the way past the Bushel, into the heart of the old Rookery up to Albion Street ... this far end is now the Guineas Shopping Centre.

  • Map details for the shops in Market Street can be found on the 1901 map on the page for the old Rookery.

Market Street c.1970
Photo by kind permission of the Newmarket Journal and the Newmarket Memories Facebook page.

  • Jack Taylor's Petshop - No.26-28 Market Street

  • The section of 3 low buildings between No.25 Market Street and No.74 High Street have been host to various shops over the years - most remember this as Jack Taylor's Petshop, now Milpets.

Milpets 2014

  • Co-operative Stores - No.25 Market Street

Co-operative Stores 1899 - many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' for the above photo.

  • The location of the above shop is given away by the side gate that can just be seen at the far left of the photo - referring to the map of Market Street shown on the page for the Rookery there's only place in Market Street that this could have been. Just to the right of this would have been the rear entrance into the Hotel Victoria - later the Carlton Hotel - No.82 High Street. Comment from Peter Norman - for those interested the young lad with the barrow is Charlie Richmond.

    Details from a Newmarket Co-operative Society (NCS) handbook state that this shop was opened on 18th March 1899. This location today is Ladbrokes Bookmakers and the side gate can still be seen in the photo below.

    By 1904 the Newmarket Co-operative Society had moved from here to a building on the corner of Vicarage Road and by 1910 had also opened another shop across the road from there in what had been the Workhouse Yard in All Saints Road.

    No.25 Market Street 2014

  • This building was also host to another well-known Newmarket shop, as can be seen in the photo on the left below.

Market Street c. 1887
Many thanks to Peter Norman for the above photo
(click on the picture for a larger image)

Market Street 2014

  • Musk's Butchers

  • If you look carefully on the far right in the above old photo you can seen the sign for MUSK butchers and it's known from the 1892 Kelly's Directory that James Musk, butchers were in Market Street

    Previously in the 1883 Kelly's Directory, when the butchers was in his wife's former name - Mrs. Elizabeth Drake, she was listed as being in Market Place, which would have been correct for this location in Market Street at that time. In this same directory 'Makin Leonard Frank & Co., grocers & provision dealers' had their shop in the High Street and although not visible in the cropped picture above it's known from the original photo that the shop on the left was Makin & Co.

    Further details about the grocers shop can be found on the page for No.74 High Street and it's known that by the 1891 census it had been taken over by Walter Enoch. On this basis the picture has to have been taken sometime between 1883 and 1891 - i.e. in around 1887.

    From all this it would therefore appear that Musk's occupied the same shop as the Co-operative Stores, obviously at different times. It's known that James Musk had moved his shop to its well known location at No.49-51 High Street by at least 1904, so it would seem that after he moved out, the Co-op moved in ... and as specified in the details above for the Co-operative Stores this would have been in 1899 (If anyone can confirm or correct these details please E-MAIL me).

  • Alma House - No.10a Market Street

  • Most commonly known as Holloway's Butchers, details for this building can be found on the page for Alma House.

  • No.20-22 Market Street

  • Market Street February 1903 - many thanks to Roger Newman for the above photo

  • As can be seen in the above photo, in 1903 this location was Frederick Newton's fish merchants - appearing in the trades directories at this location between 1896 and 1904.

  • Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
    Newmarket Urban District Council Records
    Reference EF 506
  • Shed, fishmonger's shop, Market St, for Mr Newton (J. Flatman) EF 506/6/1/2/79 Nov 1897

  • Mace Wireless

  • Opening some time in the 1920s and first appearing in the 1925 Kelly's Directory this corner building was the original location that Reginald John Mace opened his 'wireless accessories dealer shop'.

    Born in Fordham on 24th August 1897, aged 11 in 1911 he was living at 74 St. Philip's Road and working as a Bakers Boy. In 1936, while his shop was in Market Street, Reginald lived in 'The Cottage', Ashley Road.

    Mace later moved his wireless shop to its better known location near the clocktower at No.9-11 High Street - Aberdeen House (now Martha V womenswear). The business later extended into televisions and moved across the High Street to No.10-12 (now the Hartwell Blind Co.). Its known the TV shop was there in the 1950s but not exactly when either of these two later shops were opened.

    Reginald lived to the ripe-old-age of 95 and died in Cambridge in Oct 1992.

Market Street 1920s - many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' for the above photo

Also first appearing in Kelly's 1925 Directory, William George Mace, fried fish dealer, had his shop at this location.

Reginald Mace's father was William George Mace, but then his brother was George William Mace - knowing that many swap their Christian names it's not known if the fish shop was owned by his father or brother - if anyone can answer this detail please E-MAIL me.

Reginald's brother George William Mace was born in Freckenham on 8th August 1896, in 1911 he was a Apprentice Stable lad ... he died in Newmarket in December 1981. Also initially a Stableman, their father William George Mace, also from Freckenham, died in Newmarket in 1953.

  • Billy Blythe

  • Most will remember 'Little Billy' - the ex-stable lab and jockey Billy Blythe of 'A Racing Lad Steps Out' book fame. He took over the fried fish dealers and brought both halves of the building together as one shop. Originally the restaurant was just the very front section of the main building with a kitchen leading off in the rear. This was later opened up and the restaurant now extends over most of the ground floor of the main building. In the low building the frying vats have been in various positions over the years and presently face directly onto you as you walk in the door.

    The shop became the Central Fish Bar, which from adverts in the Newmarket Journal in 1975 it's known that it'd carried on Billy Blythe's legacy; as it also had a dedicated wet fish bar - selling fresh fish direct from Grimsby.

    Central Fish Bar 2014

  • In late 2015 the national fish 'n' chip restaurant chain Harry Ramsden's made an offer to the owners of the Central Fish Bar that they couldn't refuse. Continuing the tradition which Harry Ramsden himself started in 1928 the brand opened in Newmarket on 8th February 2016, providing takeaways and sit-in dining for up to 50 in their new restaurant.

    Harry Ramsden's 21st May 2016

  • Martyn and Marika (the previous owners of the Central Fish Bar) moved their business to start afresh at No.106 High Street - the previous location of KFC:-

  • Three Tuns

    Three Tuns c. 1891 - many thanks to Peter Norman for the above photo

  • Three Tuns History

1904 Pinn, Emily (Mrs.), Three Tuns P.H., Market Street Kelly's Directory
1901 Three Tuns, High Street Eastern Counties Directory
1901 Three Tuns: Raymond Jeffery, publican's manager, Market Street Census
1896 Gardiner, John, Three Tuns P.H., Market Street Kelly's Directory
1892 Jeffery, William, Three Tuns P.H., Market Street Kelly's Directory
1891 William Jeffery, licensed victualler, Three Tuns Hotel, Market Street Census
1886 Clemency Double - on the death of her husband Newmarket Journal
1885 Charles Double White's Directory
1883 Double, Charles, Three Tuns, Market Street Kelly's Directory
1881 Charles Double, Hotel Keeper, Three Tuns, Market Street Census
1879 Double, Charles, Three Tuns, Market Street Post Office Directory
1874 Deeks, Charles, coachbuilder & victualler, Three Tuns, Market Street White's Directory
1871 Charles Deeks, innkeeper, 3 Tuns, Market Square Census
1869 Wellam, James, Three Tuns, Market Place Post Office Directory
1868 James Wellam Morris' Directory
1865 Stephen Benfield Post Office Directory
1861 Stephen Bennefield, publican, Three Tuns, Market Square Census
1855 James Clark, Three Tuns, Market Place White's Directory
1851 James Clark, Three Tuns, Market Place Gardner's Directory
1844 James Clark White's Directory
1841 John Tilbrook, publican Census
1839 John Tilbrook, Three Tuns Robson's Directory
1830 John Tilbrook, Three Tuns Pigot's Directory

  • Referring to the details about Market Street above, it seems the Three Tuns was part of the tradition of butchers in this area:-

    • Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
      Records of Messrs Ennions, Solicitors, Newmarket
      The Three Tuns inn [Market Street], part copyhold held of the manor of Newmarket HB 517/A/60 (1703)-1878
      30a, Exning, (1703)
      Shop (formerly butcher's shop) in the Butchery, copyhold held of the manor of Newmarket, 1830
      Evidences of title for purchase by Charles Deeks of Newmarket (Cambs), coachbuilder from Mary Bottom of Newmarket (Cambs), widow, 11 Feb 1868 [conveyance not present]
      - abstracts of title (2): (1680-1775), [?1785]; (1868-1878), 1878
      - will of Thomas Bedingfeld of Docking (Surrey), gent (made 1739)
      - will of Jonathan Tillbrook of Newmarket, innkeeper, 1829

  • In 1841 there were two John Tilbrooks in Newmarket - the slightly older of the two being this one in the Three Tuns ... the other lived in Mill Hill. It's not known how or if they were related, but from the above will record Three Tuns John must have been the son of Jonathan Tilbrook.

  • Owning the Inn for some period prior to 1868, Mary Bottom was the wife of Charles Bottom, the Innkeeper of the White Hart Hotel - details about her in 1871 after she retired can be found on the page for Cardigan Lodge - No.113 High Street.

  • Purchasing the inn from Mary Bottom, Charles Deeks (born in Barton Mills) was the son of James Francis Deeks, who in 1861 had his coachbuilding business in No.148 High Street, next door to Lowther House - on part of the site that later became the Doric Cinema.

    James died on 29th July 1872 and Charles followed in his father's footsteps, being listed as a coachbuilder while still at the Three Tuns.

    By 1881 Charles had moved from here into Aston House - No.180 High Street, on the corner of Grafton Street (Black Bear Lane). Then in 1911 he'd moved to his father's house at No.148 High Street, which by this time was next door to Beales & Co. livery stables and motor garage.

  • Raymond Jeffery shown in the Three Tuns in the 1901 census is the son of William Jeffery listed there in the 1891 census.

  • Shown in Kelly's Directory of 1904 with Mrs. Emily Pinn as the proprietor, by 1911 the building seems to have ceased trading as an inn and was a private house - sold unlicensed in the 1913 Newmarket Journal (see late 1960s picture below). Emily and her husband Francis had moved to Orby House in Albion Street by the 1911 census.

    Although shown on the 1901 map of the Rookery within the outline of the Three Tuns, it's believed that the small annex to the right of the Inn was run as a separate business - Wine Vaults Inn (you can read the word 'Wines' on the window in the above photo).

  • Ridley Hooper

  • You can just see the front door of this shop on the far right on the above photo - Ridley Hooper's was a leather merchants run by Alfred Ridley Hooper. Born in Bury St. Edmunds in 1888, Alfred's father was John Ridley Hooper, also a leather merchant, who was Mayor of Bury St. Edmunds from 9th November 1910 to 8th November 1911, and also in 1920 and 1922.

    Following his retirement Alfred lived in 41 St. Philips Road, where he died on 19th December 1960. His son Noel Ridley Hooper was a well known resident of Woodditton where he lived for many years [Note from webmaster - near my Nan & Granddad].

    During the Second World War he served with the RAF’s 75 Squadron, flying 33 operations over Germany, after which he worked as a telephone engineer for the British Postal Service in Cambridge.

    He only recently passed-away on 14th August 2013 aged 93 and his obituary in the Newmarket Journal has a long list of mourners at his funeral.

    the former Three Tuns late 1960s - many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' for the above photo

  • Newmarket Temperance Commercial Hotel

  • As you walk from the High Street the hotel was situated at the far end of Market Street on the right just before the yard of the King's Head Brewery and Albion Street - about where Specsavers and the British Heart Foundation shops are now, extending out into the paved seating area in front - shown in the photo below.

    No.1-2 The Rookery - The Guineas Shopping Centre 2014

  • Newmarket Temperance Commercial Hotel History

  • 1936 Newmarket Hotel: Langley, Arthur F. Newmarket Directory
    1926 Newmarket Temperance Commercial Hotel: L.A. Walters Newmarket Street Directory
    1925 Newmarket Temperance Hotel: L.A. Walters, proprietor, Market Street Kelly's Directory
    1916 Newmarket Temperance Hotel: Edward Langley, proprietor, Market Street Kelly's Directory
    1911 Newmarket Temperance Hotel: Herbert Shepherd, manager, Market Street Census
    1901 Deer's Temperance, Albion Street Eastern Counties Directory
    1901 Lucy Deer (widow), Market Street Census
    1896 Deer, Henry, Temperance Hotel & dining rooms, Market Street Kelly's Directory
    1892 Deer, Henry, Temperance Hotel & dining rooms, Market Street Kelly's Directory
    1891 Henry Deer, Temperance Hotel proprietor, Market Street Census
    1883 Deer, Henry, coffee & dining rooms, Market Street Kelly's Directory

  • The first Temperance hotel was opened in 1833. They were hotels that didn't serve alcohol, built in response to the Temperance Movement - which required total abstinence from drinking alcohol.

  • Kelly's Directories of 1916 and 1925 describe the Newmarket Temperance Hotel as follows:-
    Accommodation for motorists, tourists, commercial and racing gentlemen; good billiard saloon.

  • In 1881 Henry Deer, a Journeyman Blacksmith from Cheveley and Lucy (nee Hunt) from Woolverstone were living in No.4 St. Mary's Square, obviously moving into Market Street sometime before 1883 ... with the hotel initially being listed just as a 'coffee & dining rooms' (which fits in very well with the above detailed requirements of the Temperance Movement).

    The hotel is listed in the 'Hawes' Hand Book to Temperance Hotels' published in 1888.

    Although listed in Kelly's Directory of 1896 Henry had actually died a year earlier on 10th August 1895. The location for his death is given as 'Pension Gigar Switzerland - this is most likely the Hotel-Pension Geiger on the Swiss-German border ... actually now in Germany.

    In Switzerland a Pension is a family-run guesthouse, most likely located in historic old buildings - maybe Henry was there to get some ideas for his hotel in Newmarket(?). Temperance Hotels, also known as Coffee Palaces were very fashionable on continental Europe at that time.

    After Henry's death the hotel continued with Lucy in charge until she died on 27th November 1909.

  • Herbert Shepherd, who was the manager of the hotel in 1911, joined the Army Reserve on 15th December 1915 and then later the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves on 13th November 1916. Sadly while serving in France he was badly wounded during the Battle of Arras and died later in the 1st London General Hospital on 22nd May 1917. He was buried in Newmarket Cemetery and further details about him can be found on the Newmarket Remembers web site:-.

  • The above history listing details 3 other proprietors of the hotel after that time - Edward Langley, L.A. Walters and Arthur F. Langley.

    It's not known when the hotel closed, but the building can still be seen on the photo below taken in the 1960s, not long before the old Rookery was demolished.

    Temperance Hotel Market Street 1960s
    Many thanks to Peter Norman for the above photo
    (click on the picture for a larger image)

  • Return to top of page