Use the blue arrows <> on the left & right to go to the next-door shops

Rous Road - the Queensberry Estate

No.15 High Street.html
Hover the cursor over the map see the location of the houses and shops in Rous Road ...
No.1 Rous Road - Belvoir House No.3 Rous Road - Bute House No.5 Rous Road - Orlando Villa No.7 Rous Road - Rous Chambers No.9 Rous Road - Rous Villa No.11 Rous Road - Blantyre / Percy Villa No.13 Rous Road - Fern Villa No.15-27 Rous Road - No.1-7 Denson Terrace No.29 Rous Road - Edith Villa Stables No.31 Rous Road - No.1 Edith Villas No.33 Rous Road - No.2 Edith Villas No.35 Rous Road - No.3 Edith Villas No.37 Rous Road - No.4 Edith Villas No.39 Rous Road - No.5 Edith Villas No.41 Rous Road - No.6 Edith Villas No.43 Rous Road - No.7 Edith Villas No.45 Rous Road - No.8 Edith Villas No.47 Rous Road - Oaklands No.49 Rous Road - Avondale No.51 Rous Road - Hopewell House / Primrose Villa Cames Corner Chambers No.10 Rous Road - No.1 Heath Villas No.12 Rous Road - No.2 Heath Villas No.14 Rous Road - No.3 Heath Villas No.16 Rous Road - No.4 Heath Villas No.20 Rous Road - Stetchworth Dairy Factory No.22 Rous Road - Newmarket UDC Fire Station No.24 Rous Road - Longton / Garage Site of No.26-32 Rous Road No.34 Rous Road - Beaufort Studio / Villa No.36 Rous Road - Crescent Villa No.38 Rous Road - Stradbroke No.40 Rous Road - Dalmeny No.42 Rous Road - St. Wulfram No.44 Rous Road - Edgecumbe House No.46a Rous Road - The Coach House No.46 Rous Road - Brackley House Red Lion Inn W.J. Moon Cycle Shop No.5-8 Upper Station Road - Seymour Cole & Co.
Cabinet Makers, House Furnishers & Decorators Buckley Terrace
Rous Road Map 1901
(see below for a map of Rous Road in 1885)


  • If you refer to the interactive map above and hover the cursor over the High Street end of Rous Road you'll see that the location of the Red Lion Inn straddles what became Rous Road, with a row of buildings on each side of the road - the courtyard in between approximately following the line of the present day road. This can be clearly seen on Chapman's 1768 map of Newmarket shown below. It can also be seen on this map that the rear entrance of the inn exited out onto the road that is now Old Station Road in exactly the same place as today, opposite the Moulton Road, at what is still referred to as 'Chilcott's Taxis Yard'. After nearly 250 years the overall layout of the land hasn't changed an awful lot.

      Chapman's Map of Newmarket 1768

    As detailed on its web page the Red Lion Inn closed sometime around 1820, though as noted in the newspaper report below it was still standing in 1855.

Wednesday 23 May 1855, Bury and Norwich Post

Desirably situated for Business, in the High-street, near the Public Hall.
By Mr, E. FIEST,
At the White Hart Hotel, Newmarket, on Monday, May 28th, 1855, at Seven for Eight o'clock in the Evening precisely, by direction of the Proprietor.
ALL those TWO newly-erected brick-and-slated DWELLING HOUSES and SHOPS, situate and being at the East End of the Town of Newmarket, in the Parish of All Saints, in the County of Cambridge, abutting North on the Public-street, South on part of the Estate of the Marchioness of Hertford, East on houses now or late belonging to Mrs. Levett, and West on premises formerly used as an Inn, called the " Red Lion," as the said Dwelling Houses, Shops, and Premises, with the appurtenances theruneto belonging, are now in the several occupations of Mr. Samuel Howlett and Mr. Wm. Turner, Boot and Shoe Makers, at a Rental of £40 per annum.
Part of the Purchase-money may remain on mortgage.
The above very desirable Houses and Shops have been substantially erected, and fitted up by the present proprietor at considerable cost within the last three years. The Fixtures, which are all modern and of the most useful character, will be included in the purchase. There is a pump of excellent water, which is used in common with the tenants of the adjoining property. Further particulars may be known on application to Mr. William Cripps Kitchener, Solicitor; or to the Auctioneer, Imperial Fire and Life Offices, High-street, Newmarket.

  • Maria Emilia Fagnani - the Marchioness of Hertford - the Queensberry Estates

  • In 1855 the Marchioness of Hertford referred to in the above newspaper report was Maria "Mie-Mie" Emilia Fagnani (24th August 1771 – 2nd March 1856). She was the illegitimate daughter of the original Duke of Queensberry (or Queensbury, both seem to be correct).,_Marchioness_of_Hertford

    As the above Wiki page details, William Douglas, the 4th Duke of Queensberry (commonly known as 'Old Q') was one of three men who could have been, and considered themselves to be, her father ... but that's academic in this instance, as Queensberry clearly believed she was and left her his estates in Newmarket when he died on 23rd December 1810.,_4th_Duke_of_Queensberry

    The Duke of Queensberry, being an avid gambler and addicted to the horse racing in Newmarket, had a house built sometime after 1750 on the site of the present Queensberry House - No. 129 High Street. As detailed in the 1882 newspaper report below his estates in Newmarket were in two parts, with one part being the land between what was by then the Town Hall - No.29 High Street and Upper Station Road (now Old Station Road) - this is the piece of land used to build Rous Road (and more, as detailed below).

  • Sir Richard Wallace, 1st Baronet - the Queensberry Estates

  • By 1882 the Red Lion Inn seems to have disappeared and by then ownership of the Queensberry Estates in Newmarket had passed to Sir Richard Wallace, 1st Baronet.,_1st_Baronet

    As the above Wiki page details, Sir Richard was the illegitimate son of Richard Seymour-Conway, 4th Marquess of Hertford, who was in turn the son of Francis Seymour-Conway, 3rd Marquess of Hertford and Maria "Mie-Mie" Emilia Fagnani ... i.e. Sir Richard was the Marchioness of Hertford's grandson.,_3rd_Marquess_of_Hertford

    Sir Richard, like his father before him, was an avid art collector and was instrumental in compiling what's become known as the Wallace Collection, available for public viewing at his London residence of Hertford House, Manchester Square.

  • Tuesday 03 January 1882, Bury and Norwich Post

    The Queensberry Estate. - It is stated that Sir Richard Wallace has decided upon laying out and cutting up his Queensberry Estate, at Newmarket, for building purposes.
    They include two estates, one at either end of the town, so that persons wishing to reside near the race-course or near the railway can have their choice.
    As the town of Newmarket extends, these estates will become incorporated with it. The architect entrusted by Sir R. Wallace with the laying out of the estate is Mr. R. A. Came, of 27, Mecklenburg-square.

  • The part of the estate at this end of the town included land that extended all the way from the High Street back to Vicarage Road and included that on which the Rous Memorial Hospital and Almshouses, and the Astley Institute were later constructed.

  • Details about the Rous Memorial Hospital can be found on the Newmarket Local History Society web site:-

  • Photo of Newmarket, Rous Memorial Hospital 1929 - Francis Frith
    Reproduced courtesy of Francis Frith.

    Rous Hospital Postcard 20th December 1904

    Many thanks to Roger Newman for the above postcard.

  • Details about the Astley Institute and its association with Sir Richard Wallace can also be found on the Newmarket Local History Society web site:-

  • Astley Institute c. 1905

    Many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' for the above photo.

  • Sir Richard Wallace was a very complicated person - intricate details of his life and passions can be read on the following web page:-

    As noted on this page Wallace acquired the Lisburn estates near Belfast in Northern Ireland (there's still a Wallace Park in Lisburn) - presumably this is the reason why the road next to Rous Road was named Lisburn Road.

  • Sir Richard died on 20th July 1890, leaving his estate to his widow Dame Amelia Julie Charlotte Wallace.

  • Dame Amelia died a few years later on 16th February 1897, leaving the estate to Sir John Edward Arthur Murray Scott and Frederick Lucas Capron.

  • Sir John Edward Arthur Murray Scott died on 18th January 1912.

  • Rous Road Shops - 2nd May 2015

  • Rous Road - Timeline

    • From details in the deeds for one of the properties in Rous Road it's known that the original conveyance of the land by Sir Richard Wallace for commencement of building was 25th March 1882, this being on the basis of a 99 year lease.

    • The 1885 map below shows that on the northern side Belvoir House - No.1 Rous Road, Bute House - No.3 Rous Road and Rous Chambers - No.7 Rous Road had been built (hover over the map above for the location of the houses detailed here), as had Denson Terrace - No.15-27 Rous Road and Edith Villa Stables - No.29 Rous Road. On the southern side upto No. Heath Villas - No.14 Rous Road and Beaufort Cottage - No.34 Rous Road were present (see below for futher details of this property).

    • By the 1891 census the northern side of the road had been completed upto No.4 Edith Villas - No.37 Rous Road. The southern side of the road was built upto No.4 Heath Villas - No.16 Rous Road.

    • No. 7 Edith Villas - No.43 Rous Road was leased by Dame Amelia Julie Charlotte Wallace to John Smith (landlord of the Waggon & Horses pub at that time), on 29th May 1896.

    • The whole of the northern side had been completed by 1901, as had most of the southern side, leaving the two pairs of semi-detached Edwardian villas - Stanley Villa, Dunmore House, Aragon and Havenside - No.26-32 Rous Road to be built in 1907.

    • The re-numbering of the houses to their present scheme happened on 2nd July 1953.

    • From the building deeds as detailed above its known that when this particular house in Rous Road was purchased in 1973 it was still leasehold and the estate at that time was still held by the executors of Sir John Edward Arthur Murray Scott. Purchase of the freehold for this house was in 1978 ... this does raise the question as to whether some of the properties are still part of the estate of Sir John Edward Arthur Murray Scott(?) - if anyone can answer this question please E-MAIL me.

    Rous Road 15th May 1912

    Thomas H. Gould, Wine Stores, Belvoir House - No.1 Rous Road

    Many thanks to Roger Newman for the above postcards.

  • Thomas Henry Gould was a wine merchant in Belvoir House from at least 1911 until after 1936 and many can remember J.G Linford's Wine Merchants being there, particularly the son Barry, who also used Edith Villa Stables further along at No.29 Rous Road as his wine store.
    As shown in the photo below Corney & Barrow can be found there now.

    So from the Red Lion Inn through to Corney & Barrow there's a long history of wine merchants at this location and it's believed that the cellars in Belvoir House may actually be part of the original Inn - if anyone has any further information about this please E-MAIL me.

  • No.1 Rous Road - Belvoir House - 2013

    Belvoir & Bute House - No.1 & 3 Rous Road - 2014

    Tuesday 17 April 1883, Bury and Norwich Post

    Building Operations.- In all parts of the town extensive building operations are being carried on. The new road called Rous-road, leading from the High-street, and which will eventually be carried through to the Upper Station-road, is assuming quite a populous appearance. In the Upper Station-road, the imposing row of shops are nearly completed, some in fact are let, and the tenants are filling the windows with their goods. Further on in the same road the foundations of new houses are being laid. At the south end of the town the Queensberry estate is undergoing extensive alterations. A road has been laid through from the High-street to the road leading to Dullingham, and on all sides preparations are being made for building. When the new road, now being laid by the Jockey Club to Exning is completed, building in proximity to it will follow on a large scale. On every side undeniable evidence is given of the rapid growth of the town.

    Tuesday 04 September 1883, Bury and Norwich Post

    Mr. J. Flatman laid plans before the board for new stables for Mr. Saich, opposite the Horse-shoes inn ; these were handed to Mr. Holland to look over.
    - The Surveyor reported that in Buckley-terrace there were eight houses and shops, Denson-terrace eight houses, and on the Rous-road two houses, with only one well to supply water.
    - The deputy -clerk said Mr. Came informed him there were five inexhaustible wells.
    - The board were of opinion they should have a report as to the available supply.
    - Mr. Came sent a letter to the board, enclosing a copy of a letter he had sent to a paper on the water supply on the Queensbury estate, and asking that it might be entered upon the minutes.
    - The board took no notice of the communication, but were disposed to stop him proceeding with the buildings untill the plans were passed.

    Tuesday 20 July 1886, Bury and Norwich Post

    Local Board.
    - At the last meeting of the Local Board, present, Mr. G. F. Peck (chairman), Messrs. S. Quince, C. Diver, F. L. Ruse, and J. Button (clerk), the Clerk read a letter from Mr. R. A Came, referring to his recent conversation with the board's committee, as to Rous and Lisburn roads.
    He now reminded the board that many tenants in the above roads paid heavily to the rates without receiving any benefit in the way of watering, lighting, &c.
    The roads had been well made, sewered and kerbed, and the only question now was as to the paving of the footpaths and channelling.
    To avoid the inconvenience of some parts being paved and some not, at the option of the lessees, he suggested that the board should do the work, entering into an agreement with the lessees for the payment of their respective portions of the cost.
    The Clerk said whether they took over the road as a public highway or not the board had power to compel the owners to do the paving and channelling.
    - Mr. Ruse did not see why the ratepayers should be put to the expense of improving this property, when the owners were the proper parties to do it.
    - Mr. Diver said Mr. Imrie took notes of a conversation they had had with Mr. Came.
    - It was therefore decided to postpone the subject until particulars as to the interview were heard from Mr. Imrie.
    - Plans for eleven houses in Rous-road, were forwarded by Mr. Came, but as they had not been received in time for examination by the Surveyor their consideration was postponed.

    Rous Road Map 1885

  • R.A. Came - Architect

  • A very large number of the houses in Rous Road were designed by the London architect, R. A. Came - Richard Adolphus Came.

    Came was born on April 23rd 1847 in London. He was educated at Lancing, London University and in Germany.

    He was an exhibitor and student of the Royal Academy, a pupil of Sir Digby Wyatt and from 1870 he was a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects. He practised as an architect for many years at Gray’s Inn and Mecklenburgh Square in London.

    Came designed many buildings which included boarding schools, private residences, country houses in Lancing, East Grinstead, Tunbridge Wells, Broadstairs, Ealing, Child’s Hill, Hampstead, Winkfield and Windsor. He was also responsible for the design of city warehouses in Cannon Street, Cheapside and Bread Street.

    Additionally, he designed the German Athenæum Club, electric light stations in Pall Mall, St. James, Richmond and Preston. The Grantham Hospital, Roman Catholic Chapels at Skegness and Woodhall were also Came’s work and he designed most of the residences facing the racecourse at Ascot.

    Tuesday 08 April 1890, Bury and Norwich Post

    NEWMARKET LOCAL BOARD. The usual meeting was held at the clerk's office on Monday week there were present : - Mr. C. Diver (chairman), Rev. J. Imrie, Messrs. C. E. Hammond, J. Rogers, R. Rodrigo, S. Quince, G. H. Verrall, T. Jennings, sen., T. Ennion, J. Button (clerk), and J, Alexander (surveyor). The Rous-road. - The Clerk read a letter from Mr. R. A. Came, stating that he had intended erecting a barrier across Rous-road, but on hearing that the Board were taking steps to take over Rous and Lisburn-roads, he would like to have official intimation of the Board's intentions in the matter. - The letter contained an enclosure, in which Mr. Came stated that the objection which was raised to the plans he submitted to the Board by Mr. Stebbing had been withdrawn, and he wished to know if the Board would pass the plans and enable him to remove what was an eyesore to the town, and make an ornament instead. - The Clerk informed the Board that the plans deposited by Mr. Came had been removed by him, and read the letter sent to Mr. Came in September, 1888, which contained a copy of the minute, dated May, 1887, refusing to admit of any encroachment on the highway. - Mr. Rogers said it was very desirable to have the eyesore removed, and he would be inclined to meet Mr. Came half-way if no one was inconvenienced by it. - Mr. Jennings objected to any giving way to Mr. Came after the way in which he had treated the Board. - Mr. Ennion said that the best answer they could give would be to say that the Board had no plans before them, and that they had nothing to add to the communication of September, 1888. - This was seconded by Mr. JENNINGS, and carried unanimously, - In answer to the letter regarding the road, a discussion arose, in which Mr. ENNION stated that the Board were waiting for the Surveyor to produce the necessary plans and sections for the Clerk to serve notices on the owners of the property to put the roads in the proper repair that the Board might take them over. - The Surveyor produced the plan he prepared, which was found to be insufficient for the purpose required by Act of Parliament, and Mr. Rogers moved that the Surveyor be instructed to prepare plans and sections necessary under the Act to render the road in a state for the Board to take over. - This was carried.

    Tuesday 27 August 1895, Bury and Norwich Post

    Neglecting to Abate a Nuisance. - Richard Adolphus Came, of 27, Mecklenburgh-square, London, was summoned for neglecting to abate a drainage nuisance at Came's-corner, Newmarket, of which he is the owner. - Defendant did not appear, but sent a builder to represent him. - Mr. J. W. Metcalf, surveyor to the Newmarket Urban District Council, appeared to prosecute, and detailed the history of the case. He said the drainage of the premises was not working properly, a portion of it had been re-laid at a higher level, thus blocking the drains above it, and converting what was intended as an inspection chamber only into a filthy cesspool, in which the sewage had to accumulate to a depth of nine inches before it could pass on to the public sewer. He now produced a plan of the drainage of the premises, and explained to the Bench the matters of which he complained. He was then sworn to formally prove the case. He said he was a member of the Sanitary Institute, and Inspector of Nuisances to the Urban District Council. On the 5th June he examined the premises and found a nuisance to exist, the inspection chamber having a deposit of sewage in it. He wrote to Mr. Came and received a reply complaining of the flooding of the premises owing to the insufficient capacity of the public sewer. Mr. Came also said no drains led into the chamber, but the deposit there was caused by back-wash from the sewer. He pointed out, however, that two drains led into the chamber, so that Mr. Came was under a misapprehension as to the plan of his own drainage. He reported the matter to the Council, and nothing having been done to abate the nuisance, these proceedings were, ordered. Everything had been done to induce defendant to abate the nuisance, which was a serious matter as the Stetchworth Dairy Company had a close connection with these premises, and they retailed milk all over the district. The nuisance had been continuing from June 5th up to the previous day, and he asked the Bench for a peremptory order for its abatement. - The man who appeared for Mr. Came, said he had to admit the nuisance and defendant's liability. He was the man who laid the drains, and defendant instructed him a fortnight ago to attend to this matter, but he had been unable to leave London before, owing to a contract with the London County Council. The work was now in progress, and would be completed this week. - The Bench found that the complainant's case was made out, but they adjourned their decision for a fortnight in order to see if the work was carried out to the satisfaction of the Surveyor.

    Tuesday 10 September 1895, Bury and Norwich Post

    The Work Done. - The only case before the Bench was the adjourned summons against Richard Adolphus Came of London for not abating a nuisance at Came's Corner Chambers, Newmarket, which had been adjourned, as defendant's representative stated on the last occasion that the necessary work had been commenced.- It was stated that the work had now been carried out to the satisfaction of the Surveyor to the Urban District Council, except one small item which was in progress. - The case was further adjourned for a fortnight, it being understood that if defendant paid the costs, 12s., in the meantime there would be no conviction against him.

  • It's interesting to read these newspaper reports as they show that planning wrangles in Newmarket are nothing new.

  • Notable for his buildings in Rous Road were the first four on the right-hand side from the High Street - referred to as 'Came's Buildings' in the 1891 census and 'Came's Corner' in the above newspaper report. As detailed in the report, the Stetchworth Dairy had it's retail shop at this location - No.4 Rous Road, which obviously had opened sometime before 1895.

      The Stetchworth Dairy c. 1920s

    Many thanks to Peter Norman for the above photo.

      Stetchworth Dairy, Rous Road

    Many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' and Ken Harris for the above photo.

    As can be seen below the infamous drain in the road, the square guttering on the right-hand wall, and the steps leading up in into the Stetchworth Dairy shop, visible in the above photo can still be seen in front of Balmforth Estate Agents (what was previously Generous Pizzas and before that Stan's grocery shop) - No.4 Rous Road.

    From before 1895 until 1954 there was a dairy farm at Stetchworth Ley which provided milk for the Stetchworth Dairy. The dairy, a large concern with shops in Rous Road, Newmarket; Market Street, Cambridge; and Bury St. Edmunds, retained the name even after its connection with the farm had ceased.

    Stetchworth Dairy Cream Jug

      Fire at the fruit and vegetable shop, No.4 Rous Road, late 1960's
      Many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' and Bill Mclean for the above photo.

      Bridge Farm Dairies Advertisement 1970
      Many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' for the above advertisment.

  • Stetchworth Dairy had it's main factory further along on the same side at No.18-20 Rous Road. As can be seen in the advertisment above by 1970 the factory had become Bridge Farm Dairies. 

  • Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
    Newmarket Urban District Council Records
    Reference EF 506
  • Trolley shed for Stetchworth Dairy, Rous Rd, for R.A. Came (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/G24 Mar 1895

  • Israel Hayhow

  • No.1 Came's Buildings used to be No.2 Rous Road, but became No.15 High Street and is presently the Newmarket News offices.

    The son of William Essex Hayhow and Mary, Israel Hayhow was born in 1858 in Horningsea and was Christened on 26th December 1858.

    In 1887 he married Helena Schofield V Sinclair in Chesterton, Cambridge. A year later he was listed in Kelly's Directory in Rous Road and is shown on the 1891 census at No.1 Cames' Buildings.

    Still in Rous Road in 1892, by 1896 he was listed in Kelly's Directory in the High Street and also in the same year as a Market Gardener at Dullingham - where on the 1901 census he's shown as living at Church Villa in Dullingham (now 23 Brinkley Road).

    Hayhow's new shop was at No.104 High Street, next door to J.W. Carr's chemists.

      Came's Buildings 2014

  • Planning details for Came's other buildings in Rous Road are as follows:-

    • Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
      Newmarket Urban District Council Records
      Reference EF 506
    • Studio, Rous Rd, for W.H. Hopkins (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/A2 Oct 1883
    • Beaufort Cottage, Rous Rd, for R.A. Came (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/A15 May 1884
    • Three houses, Upper Station Rd (Rous Rd Corner), for Wilkes Brothers (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/B28 Jun 1884
    • Trolley shed for Stetchworth Dairy, Rous Rd, for R.A. Came (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/G24 Mar 1895
    • Conversion of studio into shop, Rous Rd, for R.A. Came (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/G25 Mar 1894

  • Richard Came was also responsible for work on many other buildings in Newmarket including on the opposite side of the High Street from Rous Road - The Crown Inn, No.26-28 High Street in 1894.

  • It seems that Beaufort Cottage - No.34 Rous Road may have been Came's office / showhouse - it was one of the first buildings constructed, specifically for himself - it's clearly visible on its own in the 1885 map above, beside the short link road between Rous and Lisburn Road, and in 1922 the planning details refers to it changing from a studio to a house. From the 1936 Newmarket Directory it seems that the single storey building on Rous Road was still named Beaufort Studio, but next to it was a separate residence - Beaufort Villa, which presumably is the house joined onto it fronting onto Lisburn Road(?).

  • Saturday 21 May 1898, London Standard

    NEWMARKET.- Sale by Auction of the valuable Leasehold Residences, occupying a pleasant and important position between the G.E.R. Station and High-street, known as 1, 2, 3, and 4, Heath Villas, Beaufort Villa and Beaufort Studio, and the Stetchworth Dairy, and Hammond’s Workshops, of a total rental of £309 per Annum. Also the valuable Residential Building Sites, with frontages to Rous Road, held on lease for an unexpired term of 83 years.
    GERMAN, SON, and BEVEN will SELL the Above by AUCTION, at the Rutland Arms Hotel, Newmarket, on Monday, May 23, 1898, at three o'clock in the afternoon precisely.- Particulars of sale may be had from Messrs. Roberts and Way, architects and surveyors, Newmarket: Messrs. Fisher, Jesson, and Wilkins, solicitors, Ashby-de-la-Zouch ; and from German, Son, and Beven, land agents and surveyors, 59 and 60, Chancery-lane, London. W.C.

  • One last detail about Richard Adolphus Came's architectural influence on Newmarket - with it's continuity of design it had been expected that Came's Corner did actually extended around the corner from Rous Road onto the High Street and the above newspaper report 'Tuesday 10 September 1895, Bury and Norwich Post' just about confirms this, as it refers to 'Came's Corner Chambers'.

    This building is now called 'Rutland Chambers - No. 17-21 High Street' - clearly Newmarket's town planners considered that the Duke of Rutland, the one-time
    'Lord of the Manor', was a much better icon for the naming of the building than a troublesome London architect! ....

      Came's Corner Chambers - Rutland Chambers 2014

  • Planning Details

  • Planning details for other buildings in Rous Road are as follows:-
    • Three houses, Rous Rd, Queensberry Estate, for J.R. Denson (John Flatman) EF 506/6/1/A9 6 Mar 1884
    • Stables at Primrose Villa, Rous Rd EF 506/6/1/A11 Apr 1884
    • Orlando Villa, Rous Rd, for John Flatman (J. Flatman) EF 506/6/1/A12 Apr 1884
    • Four houses, Rous Rd, for J. Smith (Percy Holland) EF 506/6/1/J112 Sep 1892
    • Sky sign, western coping of Beard's warehouse, Rous Rd, for Edward Beard EF 506/6/1/J145 1901
    • Bathroom, Orlando Villa, Rous Rd, for John Flatman (John Flatman) EF 506/6/1/3/105 Feb 1898
    • Two villas, Rous Rd, for J. Smith EF 506/6/1/3/118 nd
    • Two houses, Rous Rd, for J. Smith EF 506/6/1/3/122 Mar 1898
    • Lock-up shop, house and builders premises, Rous Rd, for Mr Ison (Roberts & Way) EF 506/6/1/4/179 Mar 1899
    • Additions to Euclid Cottages, Rous Rd, for H. Shaw EF 506/6/1/5/245 (1900)
    • Additions to 2 Crescent Villas, Rous Rd, for F.G. Postans (F.G. Postans) EF 506/6/1/9/151 Apr 1903
    • Temporary carriage shed, stable yard, Rous Rd, for Mrs Saich EF 506/6/1/11/275 Mar 1906
    • Temporary engine shed, Rous Rd, for H.W. Game & Co (John Flatman) EF 506/6/1/11/279 Apr 1906
    • Pair of semi-detached villas, Rous Rd, for the executors of W.E. Ison (John G. Gibb) EF 506/6/1/12/305 Mar 1907
    • Erection of four villas, Rous Rd, for the executors of Edward Ison (J.G. Gibb) EF 506/6/1/12/311 May 1907
    • Alterations to garage, Rous Rd, for T. Barling EF 506/6/1/16/547 Feb 1920
    • Conversion of Beaufort Studio into living premises and studio, Rous Rd, for C.J. Brownlow (L.E. Cole) EF 506/6/1/18/619 Aug 1922
    • Additions to drainage, fish shop, Rous Rd, for W.E. Tanner (L.E. Cole) EF 506/6/1/18/628 Oct 1922
    • Extension to scullery, Percy Villa, Rous Rd, for Mrs Lane EF 506/6/1/20/725 Dec 1925
  • John Flatman - Architect & Surveyor

  • The famous jockey Nat Flatman had two sons, the eldest; Nathaniel (b. 1842) and youngest; John (b. 1844).

  • Neither son followed in their father's horse racing footsteps, Nathaniel was a brewer's agent and lived in Cambridge, and John an architect & surveyor (and also it seems by various tenuous references, quite a renowned equestrian artist).

    ENGLISH SPORTING REMINISCENCES - Auckland Star, Volume XXXIV, Issue 87, 13 April 1903, Page 3

  • Wood engraving by John Flatman, 1870

    Wood engraving by John Flatman, 1870

  • John did stay close to his father in Newmarket though, living in Orlando Villa - No.5 Rous Road, which he designed in 1884 and he's shown living there on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses.

    As can be seen in the planning details above he was involved in quite a few properties in Rous Road.

    He died in Orlando Villa on 1st August 1918 and his widow; Alice, was still living there in 1926, being listed in the Newmarket Street Directory for that year. The building is now the Lara B bridal shop.

      Orlando Villa 2014

  • John also worked on quite a few other properties in Newmarket:-

    Gateway at Abington Place Stables - designed by John Flatman - Architect
    No.42-44 Bury Road

  • Details about the various styles of architecture found in Rous Road can be seen on the Newmarket Local History Society web site:-

  • Newmarket UDC Fire Station & Garage

  • No.22 Rous Road used to be the location of the Newmarket UDC Fire Station, and next door at No.24 & 24a Rous Road was a garage - photos of both can be seen below:-

      Garage & Fire Station Rous Road pre 1930s.jpg

      Many thanks to Peter Norman for the above photo.

      The Fire Station in Rous Road during WWII

      Many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' and Bill Mclean for the above photo.

  • Previous to moving to Rous Road the Fire Station had been in Albion Street in the Rookery.

  • Avondale

  • Avondale - No.49 Rous Road was the Cartwright of Newmarket's family home.

    Jane Cartwright was the daughter of John Cartwright and Helen Dawson, sister to the famous Dawson brothers, racehorse trainers. On 21st December 1864 she married Manchester born Jockey Thomas Aldcroft, who'd previously won the Epsom Derby for Thomas Dawson in 1856 riding Ellington.

    Gravestone of Helen Cartwright (neé Dawson)

    By 1871 they were living in Newmarket at No.2 Morton Villa, Park Lane and then by 1881 they'd moved into what later became King Edward VII's residence Grafton House - No.144 High Street.

    Thomas died on 4th May 1883 and Jane moved next door to Lowther House - No.146 High Street, where she can be seen on the 1891 census.
    On 12th January 1898
    Jane remarried to widow and trainer / veterinary surgeon Frederick William Day and they can still be seen living at Lowther House on the 1901 census.

    They later moved to Terrace House - No.125 High Street. Frederick died on 11th March 1919 and Jane moved here to Avondale where she died two years later on 31st August 1921.

    Avondale became the Cartwright's family home and it's from here that the well known Cartwright Brothers electricians started their business before later moving the its present location at Primrose House - No.40 High Street.

  • Primrose Villa

  • Referring to the 1885 map above, Primrose Villa was one of the first houses in Rous Road and had been built at the time of the map. Presently numbered No.51, at that time it stood on its own at the corner of Rous Road and Upper Station Road (now Old Station Road).

    Its quite a large property and as detailed in the planning details above stables were added to the property in April 1884.

    The house doesn't appear on the 1891 census and it seems that one of its first occupants was the jockey Arthur Henry 'Harry' Barker.

  • Born in Biggleswade in 1862, baptised on 18th September 1864, his parents were solicitor Horace Isaac Barker and Sarah Ann (neé Edwards).

    He finished second in both the 1893 Derby on Ravensbury and the 1893 Grand National on Aesop. He won the 1894 Manchester November Handicap on Ravensbury, who'd finished runner-up in all three races for the triple crown.

  • Arthur married Kathleen Elizabeth (neé Curtis) and on 16th of May 1894 she gave birth to their son Arthur Cliff Livingstone Barker here at Primrose Villa.

  • Arthur's marital affairs had not been particularly clean-cut though; as previously he'd been involved in a quite public court case.

    In 1884 Arthur had become engaged to Ellen Constable, but after a series of snubs from him he broke off their engagement. This didn't go down too well with Ellen, who blamed her mother's ill health on the circumstances and in 1889 she brought about a "Breach of Promise" court case.

    Poverty Bay Herald, Volume XVI, Issue 5491, 4th June 1889

    As can be seen in this New Zealand newspaper article Ellen was awarded £1,000 (quite a large sum of money at the time), but it subsequently transpired that Arthur had been an unsuccessful gambler and actually had no assets at all, so he was adjudged bankrupt for the entire amount he owed in damages and costs.

  • Friday 28 February 1890, Lancashire Evening Post

    At the London Court of Bankruptcy, yesterday, an application for an order of discharge was made Arthur Henry Barker, a jockey, late Duke-street, [Piccadilly] and Totis, Hungary. The debtor attributed his insolvency wholly to a liability for £1,000 damages and £5O costs upon a judgment recovered him in April last, in action for breach of promise of marriage at the suit of Miss Constable, of Epsom. The Official Receiver did not oppose the application, but on behalf of Miss Constable it was submitted that the bankrupt ought not be white-washed without paying a shilling.

  • As can be seen below Arthur is listed at Primrose Villa in Kelly's Directory of 1896.

  • There are stories that Arthur had assisted Archibald Philip Primrose, 5th Earl of Rosebery in some other suspicious marital affairs around this time - so considering his close association with the Earl it may have been that Rosebery may have owned the property here, hence its name - 'Primrose Villa'. (if anyone can prove or refute this please E-MAIL)
    Further details about the Earl can be found on the page for Primrose House - No.38-40 High Street.

  • Arthur went to ride in Germany in 1895, but he suffered two horrendous falls in 1903 & 1904 and died in Austria in November 1909.

  • Evening Express 25th November 1903

  • Primrose Villa's next occupier was George Clarence Norton, who was a House Furnisher's Clerk - he's shown in the house on the 1901 & 1911 censuses.

  • In the 1926 Street Directory Walter Ernest Ashford of Ashford's Department Store - No.89-95 High Street was living here and at that time gave his address as Old Station Road.

  • In the 1936 Newmarket Directory the occupier here was Captain A.M. Allfrey and it's still listed as being in Old Station Road (although the 1939 Phone Book entry for him gives the address as Rous Road). Captain Allfrey had changed the name of the house though - to Hopewell House ... the name it still has. 

  • Hopewell House is now the home of Chartered Accountants and Architects H.P.N. Ltd.

  • Admiral Henry John Rous

  • Rous Road was named in honour of Admiral Henry John Rous, a one-time resident of Newmarket and racehorse owner.

    Admiral Rous sold No.113 High Street to his niece Lady Cardigan in 1877 - the house then being renamed Cardigan Lodge.

  • Planning details for the Rous Memorial Hospital are as follows:-
    • Additions to Rous Memorial Hospital, Upper Station Rd (W.C. & A.S. Manning) EF 506/6/1/10/245 Aug 1890
    • Drainage at Rous Memorial Hospital, for [? the Hospital Committee] (W.C. & A.S. Manning; Dent & Hellyer, Newcastle St, Strand, London WC) EF 506/6/1/H97 Jan 1894
    • Alterations to Rous Memorial Hospital, Upper Station Rd, for the Hospital Committee (W.C. & A.S. Manning) EF 506/6/1/2/75 Oct 1897
    • Additions to the Rous Memorial Hospital, Upper Station Rd, for the Trustees (Joseph G. Oatley, 48 Denton Rd, Hornsey, London) EF 506/6/1/10/224 Jun 1905
    • Alterations and additions, Rous Memorial Hospital, Old Station Rd, for the Stewards of the Jockey Club (W.H. Brierley, York) EF 506/6/1/16/501 Mar 1915

  • Planning details for the Astley Institute are as follows:-
    • Stablemen's Institute, Vicarage Rd, for the Jockey Club (W.C. & A.S. Manning) EF 506/6/1/H73 Nov 1892

  • Planning details for Lisburn Road are as follows:-
    • Four cottages, Lisburn Rd, for H.R. Swain (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/A6 Jan 1884
    • Sixteen houses, Lisburn Rd, for H.R. Swain (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/B19 Aug 1884
    • Four cottages, Lisburn Rd, for H.R. Swain (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/B24 Dec 1884
    • Four houses, 17-20 Lisburn Rd, for H.R. Swain (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/B32 nd
    • House in Lisburn Rd, for Mrs Ann Bloss (Heaton & Gibb) EF 506/6/1/G6 Nov 1895
    • Police station, Lisburn Rd, for West Suffolk County Council (F. Whitmore, Chelmsford) EF 506/6/1/G35 May 1896
    • Ten houses, Lisburn Rd, Queensbury Estate, for G.B. Douglass (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/G44 1890-1892
    • Two villas, corner of Vicarage Rd and Lisburn Rd, for Mr Kett (R.A. Came, London) EF 506/6/1/H74 Oct 1893
    • Workshop, rear of Rosa Cottages, Lisburn Rd, for Mrs Rosa Swain EF 506/6/1/7/95 May 1902
    • Bay window, 10 Lisburn Rd, for Miss E. Jones EF 506/6/1/17/596 Oct 1921
    • Drainage, 7 and 8, Lisburn Rd, for A.E. Parrett EF 506/6/1/19/654 Sep 1923

From all the above dates it's clear that the hospital, the institute and Lisburn Road were all being constructed during the same period as Rous Road. The planning details also confirm that Lisburn Road was part of the Queensberry Estate and that many of the houses were once again designed by R.A. Came.